With essentially two ingredients, this gooey sauce is the perfect finish for all sorts of desserts. If you’ve never made caramel before, start with this Vegan Recipe. Its satiny texture will woo you, and soon you’ll be pouring it over everything.
Makes about 1 cup
- ¼ cup cold water.
- Pinch of cream of tartar (preferred), or a few drops of lemon juice or vinegar.
- 1 cup sugar.
- ¾ cups coconut milk (full-fat, not light), at room temperature.
- In a medium, heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine the cold water, cream of tartar, and sugar. Avoid Teﬂon, as the coating can be damaged by extreme temperatures. Stir the mixture brieﬂy with a clean finger to dissolve any lumps.
- Cover and cook over medium heat, swirling to dissolve, 3 to 7 minutes. When the syrup is completely clear and all crystals have dissolved, uncover and increase heat to medium-high. Cook until deep brown. Be patient; this can take around 10 minutes.
- Immediately remove from the heat and pour in half of the coconut milk. Do this with great caution; it will bubble up intensely. Brave the heat on your hands and whisk until smooth. Whisk in the remaining coconut milk. Allow it to cool slightly before serving or storing. Keep in the refrigerator in a glass jar for up to a month.