Vegan Chocolate Sponge Recipe
This is the best Vegan Chocolate Cake Recipe I know, made even better by its utter simplicity and plain ingredients.
Bake for a Chocolate Truffle Cake, or spread cooled layers with Whipped Coconut Cream, and sprinkle liberally with powdered sugar.
Makes 2 9-inch cake layers
- 2⅔ cups all-purpose ﬂour
- 2⅔ cups sugar
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1½ cups cold coﬀee
- 1½ cups water
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Heat the oven to 350° F. Oil and ﬂour 2 9-inch round pans, line with parchment, and set aside.
- Measure dry ingredients into a large bowl, sifting or pinching out any lumps in the cocoa or leavenings. Whisk together thoroughly.
- In a 2-cup measure or small bowl, whisk together the liquid ingredients. Pour the liquid ingredients into dry ingredients, and gently whisk to combine. The mixture will lighten in color and bubble up slightly, then darken and appear denser. Once the batter darkens, quickly pour into prepared pans. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, until the top springs back when pressed, and the edges just slightly shrink back from the pan.
- Cool for 5 minutes in the pan, then run an oﬀset metal spatula around the cake to release the edges. Invert onto a wire rack, and ﬂip right-side-up to cool completely