You Think vegans can’t have whipped cream? Not so. The Vegan cream Recipe skimmed from coconut milk transforms into rich ﬂuff, perfect for dolloping onto your favorite desserts. This recipe yields a lightly sweetened topping; add a teaspoon more sugar if you prefer a sweeter version.
Be sure to use full-fat coconut milk.
Makes about 2 cups
- 1 (14-ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract, rum extract, or other ﬂavoring
- Place a medium bowl (glass, metal, or ceramic are all fine) and the beaters of an electric hand mixer in the freezer to chill.
- Refrigerate the unopened can of coconut milk for 1 hour or freeze for 20 to 30 minutes. The fattier “cream” will rise to the top, leaving thinner coconut liquid underneath.
- Remove the can from the refrigerator, being careful not to shake or overturn it, and open it. Using a small spoon or spatula, slowly begin to skim the cream from the top, and transfer to the chilled bowl. You should get about 1 cup before the thin liquid appears underneath; try not to include any of this. Reserve the remaining coconut milk for another use.
- Add sugar and vanilla or ﬂavoring, and begin whisking with the chilled beaters of an electric hand mixer. The cream is done when it thickens and soft peaks form when a beater is lifted. Stiﬀ peaks may be achieved if the coconut milk is particularly high-fat, but don’t whip the cream so long that it warms and begins to liquefy.
- Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 hours before serving, whisking brieﬂy before using