This gelato Vegan Recipe is made luxuriously creamy with the addition of agar ﬂakes and coconut oil. Add mint extract, chocolate chips, or peanut butter to vary the ﬂavors.
Serves: about 1 quart
- 2 (14-ounce) cans coconut milk (full-fat, not light)
- 1 tablespoon agar ﬂakes
- ½ cup water
- ⅔ cup sugar or agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (optional, for a creamier gelato)
- In a small saucepan oﬀ the heat, combine the agar ﬂakes and ½ cup water, and allow them to soften for 1 hour. Simmer the mixture until nearly dissolved, and set aside.
- In a blender, combine the coconut milk, sugar or agave nectar, vanilla, and sea salt. Pass the agar mixture through a sieve into the blender and blend again. Refrigerate until completely cool, about 1 hour.
- Blend again, drizzling in the coconut oil while the machine is running.
- Freeze in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Without an ice cream maker, you can freeze the mixture in a shallow dish, whisking every 15 minutes, to make a coconut slush.