Vegan Green Olive and Almond Crostini Recipe
This vegan classic Provençal combination of briny green olives and crunchy toasted almonds is also fabulous tossed with pasta or steamed vegetables.Enjoy the recipe.
- ½ cup pitted green olives, with or without pimento
- ¼ cup toasted sliced almonds
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh tarragon or about
- ¼ teaspoon dried tarragon
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1½ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Toasted baguette rounds or toasted halved Italian bread, to ser
- In a food processor fitted with the knife blade, combine the olives, almonds, tarragon, and pepper; pulse until coarsely chopped. Add oil in a steady stream and process until smooth.
- Transfer to a small bowl or crock and let stand at room temperature about 15 minutes to allow the ﬂavors to blend.
- Serve at room temperature, accompanied by the bread, providing a relish knife for spreading.
To toast slivered almonds, pine nuts, or other small nut shapes or pieces in the oven: Preheat the oven to 350F (175C). Spread the nuts in a single layer on an ungreased light-colored baking sheet. Bake about 5 minutes, until lightly golden, stirring halfway through the cooking time. Immediately remove from the baking sheet and set aside brieﬂy to cool.
To toast on the stovetop:
Heat a small skillet over medium heat. Add the nuts and cook, stirring constantly until lightly golden, 3 to 5 minutes. Immediately remove from the skillet and set aside brieﬂy to cool. For larger whole nuts and nut pieces, increase the cooking time by a few minutes.
Per serving (without bread):
- Calories 108
- Protein 2g
- TotalFat 11g
- Fat 1g
- Sat. Fat 1g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Carbohydrate 3g
- Dietary Fiber 1g
- Sodium 149mg