Vegan Fusilli with Sun-Dried Tomato and Roasted Red Pepper Recipe
This vegan sauce is also delicious tossed with gnocchi or spooned over polenta and grilled vegetables.Enjoy this fabulous recipe.
Serves: 4 to 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup coarsely chopped, drained jarred roasted red bell peppers
- 1/3 cup chopped, drained oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, ½ tablespoon marinade reserved
- 3 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon crushed or toed pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes,
- juices included
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 12 ounces fusilli or similar twist pasta, cooked according to package directions until al dente
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the red bell peppers, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, and red pepper ﬂakes; cook, stirring, until the garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the canned tomatoes and their juices, reserved marinade, sugar, salt, and black pepper; bring to a boil over high heat, stirring often and breaking up the tomatoes with a large wooden spoon.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, until reduced and thickened, 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally 82and continuing to break up the tomatoes.
- Stir in the basil and vinegar and add the pasta, tossing well to combine.
- Serve at once.
- Calories 432
- Protein 14g
- Total Fat 8g
- Sat. Fat 1g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Carbohydrate 77g
- Dietary Fiber 4g
- Sodium 587mg