Vegan Vanilla Poached Pears Recipe.
I love pears in all their forms, but I especially love them poached. Poaching fruit is a great way to infuse flavor without adding fat Enjoy this vegan recipe with all your friends.
Ready In: 30 mins
- 4 ripe but firm pears
- 365ml (1½ cup) water
- 2 tbsp natural caster (superfine) sugar
- 1 lemon
- 1 vanilla pod
- You will need a saucepan or casserole that is large enough to snugly hold the upright pears. You will also need to cut a circle of parchment paper that is the same size as your pan and then cut out a small hole in the middle of the circle.
- Whisk together the 356ml (1½ cup) water and sugar into your pan/casserole over a medium heat. Split the vanilla pod in 2 and scrape out all the beautiful seeds. Add these to the saucepan along with the vanilla pod and the zest of the lemon.
- Squeeze the juice of the lemon into a bowl. Peel each of the pears. Toss each pear in the lemon juice to prevent discoloration before moving onto the next one. Place the pears upright into the saucepan/casserole (Dutch Oven) and carefully cover with the circle of parchment paper. Bring up to the simmer, then poach gently for 15-20 mins until the pears are tender and cooked through.
- Carefully remove pears from the pan with a slotted spoon, then Increase the heat to high and rapidly boil the cooking liquid until it has reduced to a lovely syrup (about 5 minutes). Discard the vanilla pod, spoon the syrup over the pears. These lovely, versatile pears can be served hot or warm or cold.