Vegan Quick Tomato-Rice Soup Recipe
Vegan and BETTER than the original.
Dairy-Free Vegan recipe of Tomato Soup with Rice, Herbs, and Spices.Enjoy this vegan recipe with all your friends!
Serves: 4 to 6
If you happen to have a leftover pint container of Chinese take-out rice, consider using it in this easy version of the Mediterranean classic.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups no-salt-added canned tomato sauce
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth or water, plus additional, as necessary
- ½ tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 medium zucchini (about 6 ounces), coarsely chopped
- 2 cups cooked white or brown rice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- In a large saucepan or medium stockpot, heat the oil over medium-low heat. Add the ﬂour and cook, stirring constantly, until lightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Gradually whisk in the tomato sauce, broth, sugar, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Add the zucchini and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, stirring constantly.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes.
- Add the rice and cook, stirring, until heated through, about 3 minutes, adding additional broth or water if a thinner consistency is desired.
- Stir in the basil and serve hot.
- Calories 294
- Protein 13g
- Total Fat 4g
- Sat. Fat 1g
- Cholesterol 0mg ate 51g
- Carbohydrate 51g
- Dietary Fiber 6g
- Sodium 594mg