Vegan Potato and Pesto Soup Recipe
It is absolutely a delicious, and healthy soup! Enjoy this vegan recipe with all your friends!
Serves: 3 – 4
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
This dish makes me so very happy. Initially, that was less true of my friends, as I’d made it when they weren’t there and couldn’t shut up about it for the next few days. They got very annoyed. That all melted away, however, when they finally got to try it themselves. Then they couldn’t shut up about it! So good and so yummy, it should be a crime not to try it. Really. I’m trying to get legislation passed.
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- 1/2 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups vegetable broth/stock
- 2 cups fresh Basil leaves
- 1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup yeast flakes
- 1 teaspoon vegan margarine
- 1/2 cup Pine nuts
- Heat the margarine in a large saucepan and sauté the onion and garlic for 2 or 3 minutes. Add the potatoes to the pan and let it cook for a little longer, then put the vegetable broth into the pan, turn down the heat and allow the dish to simmer until the potatoes have become soft.
- Combine basil, extra virgin olive oil, pine nuts, nutritional yeast and lemon juice in a blender and blend until it has become smooth.
- Put aside this mixture and next blend the potatoes and vegetables until they’ are smooth and return them to the pan (you might have to do this in several batches).
- Add the pesto mixture to the soup, add in salt and pepper and it is ready to be served.
You might want to actually wait one or two days before you eat the soup, as it will taste even better as the pesto flavors spread through the soup.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
- Calories 864
- Protein 28.8 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Fat 54.2 g
- Carbohydrates 76.6 g
- Fiber 17 g
- Sodium 1073 mg