Vegan Lasagna with Cannellini Beans Recipe
No need to give up your favorite comfort foods such as lasagna when trying to go Vegan and lose weight. You can reduce fat and calories with a variety of low-cal beans and vegetables to prepare this delicious recipe.
Serves: 5 to 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 (15-ounce) can cannellini or other white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup wheat germ
- 1¼ cups water
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano and/or rosemary
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 10 curly-edged lasagna noodles (8 ounces), broken into bite-size pieces
- 1 (28-ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, juices included
- 1 cup prepared pizza sauce
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil (optional)
- In a large nonstick skillet with a lid, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Add the beans, wheat germ, ¼ cup of the water, tomato paste, oregano, salt, red pepper ﬂakes (if using), and black pepper; cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- Scatter pasta over bean mixture without stirring. Pour diced tomatoes with juices, pizza sauce, and remaining 1 cup water over pasta without stirring.
- Cover and bring to a brisk simmer over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until pasta is tender, about 20 minutes, adding the basil (if using) the last few minutes of cooking.
- Remove skillet from heat and let stand, covered 5 minutes.
- Serve at once.
To make Skillet Spinach Lasagna with Cannellini Beans, add 4 ounces of chopped fresh spinach when you add the basil (if using). Proceed as otherwise directed in the recipe.
- Calories 378
- Protein 16g
- Total Fat 7g
- Sat.Fat 1g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Carbohydrate 67g
- Dietary Fiber 9g
- Sodium 583mg