Vegan Hot and Sour Soup Recipe
Sometimes you just want something different. Enter this hot and sour soup, this vegan recipe made after Chinese specifications, but without the Chinese need to put dead animals in everything. The lemony sour and the cayenne pepper combine to give this dish a good kick that will put hair on your chest without putting a dent in your diet.
Preparation time: less than 15 minutes
Cooking time: 40 Minutes
- 1/2 pound baby bok choy (white part cut into matchsticks and green part shredded very thin. The different parts are used in different parts of recipe)
- 1/4 pound mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 16 ounces firm tofu (pressed to remove as much water as possible)
- 6 kaffir lime leaves (or use 1 teaspoon of minced lime zest)
- 2 stalks fresh lemongrass (cut in half and then into 4-inch pieces)
- 2 medium onions, chopped fine
- 3 medium carrots, cut into matchsticks
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into matchsticks
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 14 ounces canned tomatoes, pureed
- 2 1/2 cups fresh pineapple, cubed (about half of one whole pineapple)
- 2 cups no-salt-added vegetable broth (or water)
- 3/4 cup green onions, chopped fine
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped fine
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 6 tablespoons white miso
- 4 tablespoons brown rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons tamari soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons unrefined granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon ginger juice, fresh (squeezed from fresh, grated ginger root)
- 1 tablespoon dark (toasted) sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon dehydrated lily flowers, chopped (AKA dried tiger lily buds)
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- Put a large pot of oil over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the mushrooms and let them sauté for a few minutes, then put in the onions and give it another 5 minutes. Put in the carrots and cook for a minute more. Put in the bell pepper, which will need 2 minutes and finally add in the white part of baby bok choy, along with the garlic and cook all these vegetables for a final 2 minutes.
- Tie the lemongrass in a cheesecloth, make sure it’s well tied so the lemongrass can’t escape. Then, along with the broth, cayenne pepper, tomatoes lily flower, lime leaves, pineapple, tofu, and salt, put them in the pan. Let it all come to a boil, then turn down the heat and let it simmer for 25 minutes. Add water or broth if you want it to be more like a soup, rather than a stew.
- When done, take out the lemongrass as well as the lime leaves. Finely shred the green parts of the baby bok choy and stir them into the soup.
- Take out one cup of soup and put it in a bowl. Add the ginger, miso, pepper, sugar, soy sauce, rice vinegar and finely chopped basil. Stir well until the miso dissolves, then add it back into the soup pan and mix it through the soup.
- Sprinkle some basil and green onions over top and it is ready to be served.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
- Calories 174
- Protein 9 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Fat 6 g
- Carbohydrates 25 g
- Fiber 5 g
- Sodium 1078 mg