Vegan Cincinnati-Style Chili Mac Recipe
Cincinnati is famous for its cinnamon-spiked chili, which is often ladled atop a bed of spaghetti noodles in a popular dish known as “Chili Mac”. If serving without the pasta, begin with the lesser amount of chili powder. Enjoy this Vegan Recipe.
Serves: 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 (15-ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies, juices included
- ½ to 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon sugar, or to taste (optional)
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 ounces spaghetti or elbow macaroni, cooked according to package directions, drained
- In a medium deep-sided nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, about 7 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients, except the spaghetti, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer gently, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 20 minutes.
- Serve hot, over the spaghetti.
- Calories 360
- Protein 15g
- Total Fat 5g
- Sat.Fat 1g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Carbohydrate 65g
- Dietary Fiber 7g
- Sodium 361mg