Vegan Barbecue Seitan Sandwich Recipe
We would like to say this vegan recipe tastes the same as an actually pulled pork sandwich, but the truth might actually be that it is even BETTER.
Serves: 6 – one slider per person
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 6 Minutes
Pulled pork, vegan style, is the way to go when you want to satisfy your urges and your ethics as well. We’d like to say it tastes the same as an actually pulled pork sandwich, but the truth might actually be that it’s better. Don’t believe me? Go on, try it. But afterward, I expect an apology.
- 4 hamburger buns
- 1 package seitan strips or chunks cut into strips
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup vegan barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Hot sauce (OPTIONAL)
- Suggested toppings: lettuce, tomato, green pepper, coleslaw, red onions
- Put a medium-sized nonstick skillet over a medium heat and throw in some oil. When that’s hot, add the onion and let it sauté for 5-8 minutes, or until the onion has become soft. Add the seitan, and let it cook until it is lightly browned. Be sure to stir often.
- Put the barbecue sauce and water in with the Seitan and, while stirring every 5 minutes or so, let it cook until the sauce has been thickened and been absorbed by the seitan. If you’re using hot sauce, now is the time to add that in.
- To prevent the bread from getting soggy when you put in the mixture, toast it, then add the seitan mixture, garnish and serve.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
- Calories 241
- Protein 17.5 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Fat 4.6 g
- Carbohydrates 31.7 g
- Fiber 1.8 g
- Sodium 884 mg